Swordfish alla Siciliana
Swordfish alla Siciliana
I am not Sicilian. My mother was from Bari and my dad from Vietri Sul mare (Salerno). Pretty much explains why our home was covered in beautiful Italian tile growing up. However there are some things in this world that demand attention. This Swordfish all Siciliana I often cooked for my mother an edited version, as she lived with us in Mississippi. I substituted with Cod as it was available frozen. Nothing fresh so far north from the gulf coast. That's the beauty of this recipe. You can make it with any meaty fish, even a whole fish. It's thrown together and placed in the oven. What could be easier?
It's a challenge to find fish in Stuart, Florida and so has the food shopping. I understand why people eat out so much now. Prices in the fish stores and groceries are through the roof. I priced this locally at $32.99 per pound and walked right by. I came across these beautiful fillets at Sprouts. After reading about their sustainability qualifications in regard to fish sold in their stores, I decided to give this a try. No fish smell (I always ask to smell before it's wrapped). The best part, it was $12.99 per pound. I thought I was seeing things. I had to ask for the second time and slowly realized I was becoming my parents in my older age. Not such a bad thing after all.
Ingredients: 2 servings
Two 8-10 ounces of thick cut Swordfish Fillets
4-5 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (optional)
1 small basket of baby tomatoes (You can use any fresh tomato, even Campari if you like)
1 shallot (small)
1/2 red spanish onion or 1/2 sweet white onion
1 garlic clove
4 tablespoons of capers
One cup of pitted olive halved ( I used green olive stuffed with lemon, but you can use black, green, etc).
Salt and pepper to taste
One large stainless steel pan (skillet), safe to place in the oven
Food processor / or you simply chop by hand.
Preheat your oven to 400 convection/ bake
Method:
Place the pan on medium heat. Heat the oil in the skillet. Place your onions, shallot, garlic, in the bowl of a food processor and chop for a few seconds until they fall to pieces. Do not liquify as so many get carried away. You can also chop it by hand. Place in the heated pan until fragrant. Be sure and adjust your heat. You don't want the vegetables to burn. Place your tomatoes in the food processor and pulse. Place your tomatoes in the skilled and mix until wilted and the juices release. Adjust your heat to low if you must. After a few minute (the tomatoes will finish cooking in the oven), salt and pepper your fish on both sides. Lay your fish on top of the vegetables. Add your olives and capers around the skillet. Place in the oven (center), and bake for 15 minutes approximately. Check the fish around the 10 minute mark. My pieces were almost a pound each, so they cooked for 30 minutes. You can even place it under the broiler for a light golden finish.
The beauty of this recipe? You can double, triple it depending on how many you are serving. Remember not to crowd the pan. By the way, there is no such thing as to many capers! Hahah!
Buon Appetito!
Comments